We are a network of current and former telecom industry employees, their partners and families dedicated:
- To making a recognized contribution to a variety of community needs
- To providing value to our partner organizations by contributing to their strategic priorities
- To creating rewarding fellowship opportunities
How We Are Organized
The Telephone Pioneers started in Boston on November 2, 1911, originally as a means for the first retirees from the Telephone Industry to keep in contact with their working colleagues. Over time the Organization changed from a social club to one dedicated to community service.
As of October 5, 2002, the name of the organization officially changed from Telephone Pioneers of America to the TelecomPioneers. Today the TelecomPioneers are the largest industry based volunteer organization in the world with over 750,000 members. Saskatchewan Chapter 59 became a member of the Association on October 14, 1947.
Built on the principles of Fellowship, Service and Loyalty (the 3 sides of the Pioneer Triangle), the SaskTel Pioneers presently have a membership of 4350 province wide.
There are 12 clubs across Saskatchewan.
In 1995, recognizing the need to strengthen and build on an already solid relationship, a formal partnership was signed between the Pioneers and SaskTel. In return for being a part of the SaskTel planning process the Pioneers provide a business plan which assists SaskTel in meeting its commitment to social responsibility and good citizenship. This business plan includes the Pioneers being involved in activities that align to the researched needs of our communities, membership and sponsoring company.
Formal partnership with SaskTel:
The Pioneers are presently involved in the following activities in partnership with SaskTel:
- Phone Book Recycling – Partnering with SaskTel and schools to collect and recycle phone books.
- Salvage Operations – Selling surplus computers, furniture, faxes and test equipment with the funds divided between the Pioneers and SaskTel.
- Corporate Contributions – Pioneers provide the hands on volunteers at many SaskTel sponsored events. E.g.: Dragon Boat Races, Jazz Festival, Kids Help Phone, Provincial Senior Curling Championships, National Curling Championships, Western Canada Summer Games, Jr. Hockey, Children’s Health Foundation, Special Olympics, Arthritis Society and the SaskTel Social Cause.